Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Motivation is a funny thing

I had a lucky experience on the way back from Junior Nationals when I ended up on the same flight as a parent from another club who is a well know sports figure. It just so happens several college coaches and I had spoken at Junior Nationals about this parent in regards to his coaching skill in his sport.  So in our conversation coaching came up as well as how helps his kids be successful on a team. Amazingly he tells his kid nothing about how skill performance or game decisions. He instead puts his efforts to guiding his child to finding answers for themselves. He is allowing he to make decisions for her self about herself. Encouraging an internally controlled definition of success. Building her own internal motivations to learn, give effort, and to judge for her self. Here is an article I became aware of from on of our staff (Coach Trip) In the article it talks about the effects of a parents and child's interactions and how it effects motivations. Click here to read the full article. Coaching Mental Excellence is the book he recommend to me and I strongly recommend it to you.